Rough Time **** TMI POST - GRAPHIC CONTENT ****

I've told a lot in my other two posts, but I haven't updated because nothing notable has happened except for something I was reluctant to write about. But now it's time.

On 14November I found out I was pregnant which was about a week before my period was expected. I immediately told my husband because I knew he would be excited. That week I went into the medical facility here on base and did the blood test to confirm my pregnancy and inform the nurse that I spoke with that doctor I would like to be referred to and that I'd like to be seen ASAP because I am high risk. Once I got the referral I called the doctor I wanted to see in Las Cruces and scheduled my appointment - but I had to wait about two weeks. I was very anxious the whole time, but my husband had been told he could have the day off to accompany me to my appointment because I would also be having an ultrasound. Two days before my appointment we were told that my husband actually had to work that day, so I was upset and he was disappointed because we weren't sure if there was even going to be a heartbeat. I instead had a friend go with me, but luckily there was a heart beat - 89 bpm and I was told that instead of being 7 weeks I was actually 5 weeks and 6 days (which part of me expected because of my ovulation date which was 4 November).

I had a followup appointment on 14December and an ultrasound to see if the baby's heart rate increased and luckily my husband got to be at this one - and baby's heart had increased to 144bpm! I was supposed to be 7 weeks and 5 days but the baby was measuring 7 weeks 3 days but this early that's not that big of a deal. From then on things were going amazingly, I was taking my vitamins and my progesterone nightly, and I was also taking an extra folic acid and vitamin d supplement just to be safe because of all my losses in the past.

Fast foward a few days to Christmas day, I'm 9 weeks and 2 days pregnant and my son is opening all of his gifts and this is my first Christmas with my husband. We are having an amazing day and I'm only a little crampy but I pass it off as normal stretching since I'm 9 weeks now. That night, at 6:30pm when he's putting our son to bed, I go to the restroom and wipe and see a slight discoloration on the toilet paper. I wipe again and this time press deeper into my vaginal cavity and see more of a pink tinge. I walk out of the bathroom as he walks out of our sons room and I just look at him. He asks me what's wrong, but I just can't say it. I've experienced the spotting of a loss 8 additional times in the last 7 years and I don't want it to be real. He asks me again, so through tears I tell him I'm bleeding. We grab my son, call his bio-dad and ask him to take him for the night while we go to the emergency room. We get there by 7pm and check-in. Once I get back to the room I tell the doctor what's going on and he asks why I came in if I wasn't soaking through a pad yet and I explain my history with losses.

After a couple of hours I'm told that my baby's heart had stopped beating and it hadn't developed past 7 weeks 4 days. That means that a day or two after my ultrasound confirming that everything was perfect my baby had passed and my body didn't register it for almost 2 weeks. The next morning because I'm off of work I text my boss and tell her what is going on and that I won't be in work that week. She tells me this is fine but I have to come in Friday. Fine.

On the 27th I call my doctor and he says he wants me to come in the following morning, the 28th. My doctor is in Las Cruces which is about an hour away from where I live in Southern New Mexico. My husband is off that day so he goes in with me to make sure I'm okay and we wait for the doctor. I see multiple women with pregnant bellies walking in and out and I just sit there kind of numb holding my husband's hand. We are called back and within 15 minutes we are talking to the doctor about our options. Option A) let it go naturally - but we have no idea how much bleeding there will be. Option B) He can put me on a medication called Misoprostol which I will do 4 tablets at a time in 2 doses (8 tablets total) and they will be 12 hours apart) and it will cause heavy bleeding and cramping but it's more controlled. Option C) the one he doesn't like is a D&C but he only wants to do it if it's necessary. We go for option B - he sends the prescription with a prescription for Tylenol 3 with Codene and Ibuprofen to the base pharmacy. When we get back we pick it up and I decide I'm going to do it the next night because I have to work all day Friday.

It's now Friday. I got off work at 4pm and me and my husband had some us time before getting ready for what's going to be a first for both of us and a very long night. I've never had a miscarriage late enough where I needed medication to help me pass it. We went to walmart and got some things to prepare - it was suggested I get Depends and also get some extra strength bed pads because there will a lot of heavy bleeding. We get home at about 6:45/7pm and I go to the bedroom. I get out a pair of depends and get ready, grab some paper towels so I can wash my hands and set up my dosage on my headboard. I go pee, wipe and see a clot. It's the third one today but not big enough to contain my baby but I still check with more toilet paper.

After washing my hands I lay on the bed and do as my doctor said, and I take a tablet and insert it into my vagina near my cervix. I follow suit with the other 3 tablets and then put on my Depends. I come out to the living room where my husband has set me up a foot soak and I couldn't love him more right now. He knows it's going to be a rough night. I pop an Ibuprofen and munch on some food to make sure my stomach isn't empty. At about 745pm I start to feel slight cramps.

It's now 8:30 and the pain is consistent enough that it's definitely finally feeling like a miscarriage. Ibuprofen isn't helping and my husband suggested I finally take one of the Tylenol 3's before the pain becomes unbearable. I'm going to update as it goes - there may be pictures but I'm not sure yet.

At 9pm I laid down on the couch and put on the Netflix movie Bright to keep me distracted while my husband played Ark with his friends/brother on XBox. I'm fine with this because I was doing it before the pain was to distracting.

9:30pm I got a hard cramp and felt a small gush. I got up and quickly walked to the spare bathroom and sat down. Where my Depends had been clean before was now dark red. I felt a plop but thought nothing of it and wiped - I felt something small and kind of hard and when I looked I realized it was the pill. Because I was already crying a little I didn't think this through and inserted it back inside next to my cervix and my hand came back soaked in blood. Sink was to my left (but I couldn't get up and get to it) and the tub was to my right. i had used my right hand so I couldn't turn the water on that way. I called for my husband who came in and asked him to turn on the faucet in the tub so I could clean my hand off. He stayed with me for a bit to make sure I was okay because I was crying, but he finally left.

At 9:45pm I felt another plop and I wiped. When I stood up I saw it - the placenta. I did what I didn't think I would ever do and scooped it up and put it on a couple of pieces of toilet paper. I sat back on the toilet, wiped and I broke down crying. My husband heard me and rushed back to me. I cried for about 5 minutes before I could gesture to what had caused my breakdown. It was unexpected that the medication would work 2.5 - 3 hours after it was inserted so I was not prepared for it - I broke down. He offered to put it in the toilet for me and flush it - but I wanted to see it. I wanted to see the container that had nourished my child. He walked out and said when I was ready if I couldn't flush it he would do it for me to just walk out and tell him. After he walked out I noticed all the pain I had felt before this was gone. I was kind of numb.

I stood up and carefully searched through the placenta - which I realized had been torn open. I thought maybe I'd see the baby but I didn't so I'm assuming it was the first plop I had felt earlier. I didn't dig deeper because at this point I had already flushed. I put it back into the toilet, washed my hands and walked out. I didn't have the heart to flush it. My husband went in and did it for me. We cuddled on the couch and finished the movie and then went into our bedroom to get ready for bed. I changed my depends - it wasn't soaked but I wanted to be clean before bed and we also set up the bed pad to be sure I didn't soak through. Once we got into bed my husband held me, and he rubbed back and forth on my lower stomach which helped with the cramps.

I woke up at 8am this morning, with no pain. I was unsure if I should do the second dose but ended up putting it in at 8:30am. At about 9am I started feeling some of the cramps so this time I took two of the Tylenol 3's because I wasn't sure if the pain was going to get as bad as last night's did. It did peak at about 10:30/11am but it did not become nearly as bad as last night and I did not bleed nearly as much.

Right now it's 3:30pm and while I do feel the cramps/twinges It's still nothing compared to last night.

This was my experience. The depends definitely were useful however I do not think the bed pads are necessary unless you are further along. Definitely have something to help distract you and comfort you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro Time Part 2

Intro Time Part 1